Daily Kos (Kos Media LLC)Apply this Position
Web Developer (Remote)
Job Posted on: Sept. 13, 2019
Job Type: Full-time
Prefered Timezone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time
Experience Level: Mid-Level
Salary: $90k - 105k (US Dollars)
LOCATION: Remote within the US or Oakland, CA
Daily Kos is the nation’s largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape politics.
We are seeking a passionate Web Developer who deliver new features in the Content Applications (publishing, authoring, commenting, image library) team on a large Rails application. You will support the Sr. Applications Architect of the Content Applications team with mentoring and technical input specific to the Rails stack. You are efficient, self-motivated, capable of working with limited guidance, and excited to do mission-driven work!
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We provide an extensive feature set that extends from blogging to activism and beyond, built on top of a modern tool chain that includes Rails, React, Varnish, Nginx, RDS/MySQL, Haskell, Nix, ElasticSearch, and AWS. We have an energized team of great people with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. If you’re interested in a position that offers more than just a technical challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
- Partner with and support engineering team in building best-in-class interface
- Work collaboratively with QA team to deliver quality user experience
- Share on-call responsibilities with team
- Remain current on test, development, and deployment best practices
- Be a team player, share knowledge, and mentor other team members through pairing, feedback, and discussions, etc.
- 3+ years of progressive software development experience
- 2-4 years development experience with Ruby/Rails and some production experience with React.
- Experience working remotely in a virtual work environment
- Proven development experience in a large and complex (Ruby/Rails) codebase with an emphasis on delivering to production
- Solid understanding of dev ops standards and web usability
- Strong organization and task management skills
- Proficiency integrating with third party APIs in Ruby
- The above list is a set of highly desired attributes; we will evaluate each candidate as a whole. Tell us about unique skills, experiences, and attributes that you can bring to such a role that we may be missing and why it would be a benefit to the organization
SALARY RANGE: $90,000 - $105,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and supervised by the Sr. Applications Architect. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, optional 401K with a company match, professional development stipend, a generous vacation package, as well as employer-paid maternity/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQIA individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
- 100% Medical Coverage
- 6 weeks paid vacation per year
- 401K Plan
Apply this Position