Job Posted on: July 19, 2019
Job Type: Full-time
Prefered Timezone: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time
Experience Level: Junior, Mid-Level, Senior
ActiveState Platform - made by developers for developers! We are reinventing build engineering with an on-demand SaaS Platform and CLI tool that lets developers automate the building of any runtime environment using any open source language ecosystem on any platform. In Beta right now, we support Python and Perl and we're hiring to add more languages and packages! We’re building an ambitious language distribution platform so that no engineer ever has to suffer dependency hell again, and we need your help to do it!
This position is open to full-time telecommuters anywhere in North America. You can also choose to work from our headquarters in beautiful Vancouver, BC.
Reporting to the VP of Product we are looking for a developer advocate who can speak to other developers and both communicate the value of our Platform and understand and advocate for developer needs as a member of the ActiveState Team.
You are passionate about open source and unyielding in your commitment to improve developer productivity in the languages and capabilities our products provide. This position can be based at ActiveState’s headquarters in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, or if you’re not in the Lower Mainland you can work remotely (North America only).
An ActiveState Developer Advocate:
- Will seek out communities and projects that can benefit from our platform, contribute pull requests and participate in discussions to help those communities
- Acts as the public face and technology domain expert for ActiveState’s Platform
- Seeks out real pain points for developers in regards to using open source languages
- Identifies speaking opportunities, responds to CFPs, and speaks at industry events and meetings
- Seeks out opportunities—whether in person or online—to advocate ActiveState’s Platform, promoting company and product strengths with influencer communities and industry press through technical product demos, conference participation, writing, blogging, webinars, and more
- Is a thought leader in open source adoption, and pens frequent blog posts and bylines
- Builds relationships with key communities, customers, partners, and media influencers
- Works with Marketing on social-media efforts
- Collaborates with marketing, and product management, by influencing messaging and product features
Skills / Experience:
- BA/BS in computer science or engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years industry experience working in open source languages and/or high-tech software, compensation with be commensurate with experience
- Development experience in one or more of the following: Python (preferred), Perl, PHP, Java, Go, Ruby/Rails, Node.js
- Contributes to open source project(s)
- No previous technical advocacy experience required!
- Experience writing/blogging around topics in software development
- Public speaking: You love talking with developers and to a conference/meetup crowd even more so
- Willing to travel—Must be able to travel unrestricted in North America
- Self-starter, high-energy, with ability to execute on technical and business objectives
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- A fun and positive attitude, and a great sense of humor
The team is scattered around the US and Canada, so we coordinate with each other and the rest of the company using Slack for chat, Highfive for video calls and screen sharing, Pivotal Tracker, and the Google Suite.
We use open source software whenever possible, and we also like to contribute back to the open source ecosystem.
WORKING AT ACTIVESTATE
ActiveState has a collaborative, respectful, and professional culture. We’re all about working together to find the best solutions, and making sure that the experience of doing so is positive for everyone involved. There is a commitment from the CEO on down to making work at ActiveState a great experience for all.
Our company is a team of 40+ and growing, with 2/3rds of the positions in technical roles. We maintain a set of core, overlapping hours, but we’re flexible with specific start and end times and are understanding about appointments and life events.
Our vision is to have an ActiveState solution on every device on every planet, so we certainly don’t lack for ambition! But even though we’re ambitious we don’t expect work to become your life. We know you will do your best work in a positive environment free from death marches.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU
- Working for a stable and growing company that offers the environment and personal growth potential of a start-up.
- The chance to work with a smart, passionate team of people.
- The chance to work on a project that will change the work lives of developers around the world!
- Competitive salary, bonus, and stock option plan.
- Comprehensive benefits package and health/wellness credit program.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your contact info, resume, and cover letter below. Submissions without a cover letter will not be considered. We look forward to hearing from you!
We are committed to creating a welcoming environment for everyone at ActiveState and we welcome applicants from all walks of life.
Even if you don’t feel you meet every exact requirement, we still would love to hear from you and why you think you would be an awesome addition to our team and we encourage you to apply.
- Weekly meals: Friday lunches and Monday breakfasts
- Stocked kitchen: snacks, DIY lunch options, drinks and treats!
- Healthy Lifestyle credit: for your and our planet's health & wellness
- Bonus program: annual bonus, and cash incentives for meeting goals
- Benefits package: medical, dental, extended health, vision coverage
- Friday games: board games, puzzles, Xbox, poker or whatever you choose
- ActiveVentures: fun quarterly staff outings in and around Vancouver
Apply this Position